Thursday, July 5, 2007

coleslaw

It's my new obsession this summer. I have always LOVED pasta salads and can just gorge myself on them. Even with whole wheat pasta, it gets points-costly quickly. I saw a recipe for a tex mex coleslaw in a WW magazine. I tried it and LOVED it. It had cilantro, jicama and roasted green chiles. It was still reduced fat mayo based, though, so the points could add up pretty quickly.

D was making a coleslaw last winter with a vinaigrette dressing. We also added some walnuts and gorgonzola cheese. It was really tasty, too. It didn't have much oil...like a couple tablespoons for the whole batch so not even one teaspoon per serving. And although it had cheese, it didn't have a lot since a strong cheese like that goes a long way.

Yesterday I made a greek-ish coleslaw. I added cucumber and red pepper and green onions and black olives and reduced fat feta. I used a simple mixture of olive oil and red wine vinegar to dress it. I am counting a big serving as 1 point because of the little bit of cheese and oil. But it's so yummy to grab in the fridge and just have a couple of little bites. I am loving the whole coleslaw thing...since cabbage is soooo low in points, it makes a really great basis for the other yummy ingredients.

Had to share!

I realized this afternoon that my counting is getting pretty lazy the past couple of days. I am still counting the big things (like chocolate pancakes!), but I am really lacking in my counting of all the pieces of fruit that I put into my mouth all day long. And I'm not sure I care a whole lot either. Again, my philosophy is that no one ever developed a weight problem by overdoing it on apple slices and watermelon! Yesterday we were out for a picnic lunch with the kids. I tracked my tomato and mozzarella salad and the piece of quesadilla, but I honestly have no idea how much fruit I ate. It was hot and that watermelon just HIT the spot.

I have felt like I am eating a lot lately, but I am eating good things for the most part. There has been a lot of melon and peaches and cherries. I have munched on a lot of sugar snap peas. Tonight at dinner I did eat a lot of zucchini and yellow squash (sauteed with onion, garlic and olive oil-LOVE IT!) and too many potatoes. But we did have a big morning at our farm share where we worked hard.

Tonight I wanted ice cream. We still have some of our homemade ice cream in the freezer, but I was in "that mood" and I really didn't trust myself to stop at a nice little serving. I could have eaten a pint tonight I know. Instead I opted for a Healthy Choice ice cream sandwich. It gave me my treat so I didn't feel deprived, but I kept myself from going overboard, too.

We'll see how tomorrow goes. My mom comes to town and I am planning a big roast for dinner and more potatoes and turnips and maybe beets and I still have TONS of zucchini. I also want to do some zucchini baking on Saturday. Bread and cookies. Zucchini oatmeal cookies are really good, you'd be surprised.

I am anxious to see how my weigh in goes on Saturday. I just feel really on top of the whole weight thing tonight. I guess I am feeling like these are life changes now and I really can go forward from here.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Totally agree with the fruit theory...I do the same thing. I have three recipes on my site in the recipe section that you might be interested in since they are slaw inspired: Oddball Salad, KFC Coleslaw, and the Versatile Oriental Mix before it is stir-fried is a great oriental version of slaw...and 0-points.

WeightBGone said...

Isn't this time of the year wonderful when the fresh fruit and veggies are so good! When I buy my fruit and veggies I come right home and cut them up so they are easy to grab when a starving moment hits me. It works best for me to be prepared. Hope you have a great weekend. :)

Janis Rodgers said...

I think that if you are eating the right things, then being vigilant about it is not absolutely necessary. Fruit and vegetables never used to pass my lips before, so I give myself a break on them most of the time. The zucchini oatmeal cookies sound interesting. Where did you find the recipe? Thanks!